Laura García Castro has a BA in English Philology from the University of Vigo with a specialization in English Linguistics (2014). She was honoured with the Premio Extraordinario de Fin de Carreira (Best Degree Student Award). She has an MA in Secondary School and Language Education (2015).
Currently, she is working on her PhD dissertation on clausal complementation patterns of REMEMBER and FORGET in World Englishes as represented in GloWbE under the supervision of Elena Seoane (University of Vigo) and Cristina Suárez-Gómez (University of the Balearic Islands). Laura is a member of the ViEW research project (Variation in English Worldwide), a member of the LVTC (Language Variation and Textual Categorisation) research group and of the ELC (English Linguistics Circle) network. She has obtained a four-year FPI research grant (January 2016-December 2019) from the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (MINECO).
Currently, I am a full-time researcher in the project "Morphosyntactic variation in World Englishes and compilation of resources for its study (the Gibraltar component of the International Corpus of English, ICE-GBR)" (FFI2014-53930-P; Ministerio de Economía, 2015) (IP:Elena Seoane Posse).
BA AND MA THESIS
(May 2014) BA Thesis: Variation in the Formation of Irregular Verbs in British English: A Corpus-based study, supervised by Elena Seoane Posse.
(May 2015) MA Thesis: "Estudo das técnicas de ensino e aprendizaxe do vocabulario dunha lingua estranxeira: Métodos intencionais e incidentais.”
(2018) García-Castro, Laura. “Variation in Verbal Complementation Patterns in Nativised Varieties of English: the Case of remember in Indian English”. In María Ferrández San Miguel and Claus-Peter Neuman (eds.). Taking Stock to Look Ahead: Celebrating Forty Years of English Studies in Spain. Zaragoza: Prensas Universitaria de la Universidad de Zaragoza, 207-213.
- ""I remember of January": Considering innovation and continuity in Post-colonial Englishes." 42nd AEDEAN Conference. University of Cordoba, 7-9 November.
- "The complementation profile of REMEMBER in PCEs." IDAES (Interuniversity Doctoral Programme in Advanced English Studies) Graduate Day 2018. University of Vigo, 4 May.
- "A preliminary overview of morphosyntactic variation in WEs: the case of retrospective verbs." 41st AEDEAN Conference. University of La Laguna (Tenerife), 8-10 November.
- "Verbal complementation profiles as a differentiating and innovative feature of World Englishes: The case of REMEMBER in Indian English." ISLE Summer School 2017. Variation in World Englishes: Advanced issues in theory and methodology. University of Regensburg, 4-7 October.
- "Testing Rohdenburg's complexity principle on GloWbE: the case of sentential complements." 7th Biennial International Conference on the Linguistics of Contemporary English (BICLCE 2017). University of Vigo, 28-30 September.
- "Determinants of Grammatical Variation in World Englishes: REMEMBER as a case in point." IDAES (Interuniversity Doctoral Programme in Advanced English Studies) Graduate Day 2017. University of Coruña, 30 May.
- "'I remember to read a statement from somebody on net': clausal complementation in L2 varieties of English." Santiago-Leuven-Edinburgh seminar on Grammatical Variation and Change in English. University of Leuven, 4-5 April.
- "Variation in Verbal Complementation Patterns in Nativised Varieties of English: the Case of remember in Indian English". 40th AEDEAN Conference. University of Zaragoza at Huesca, 9-12 November.
- "Finite and Non-Finite Verb Complementation in Nativised Varieties of English: the Case of remember and forget in Indian English". 4th International Conference of the International Society for the Linguistics of English (ISLE-4). Poznan, 18-21 September.
- "Variation and Change in Verbal Complementation Patterns in World Englishes". IDAES (Interuniversity Doctoral Programme in Advanced English Studies) Graduate Day 2016. University of Santiago de Compostela, 19 May.
- 14/01/2018 - 20/01/2018 - One-week research stay at the University of the Balearic Islands (Spain) under the supervision of Prof. Cristina Suárez-Gómez.
- 08/10/2017-08/11/2017 - One-month research stay at the University of Regensburg (Germany) under the supervision of Prof. Edgar Schneider.
- 23/09/2016-23/12/2016 - Three-month research stay at the University of Zürich (Switzerland) under the supervision of Prof. Marianne Hundt.
As a member of the LVTC research group, I have been involved in the organisation of the following international conferences held at the University of Vigo:
- 28-30 September 2017 "7th Biennial International Conference on the Linguistics of Contemporary English" (BICLCE2017)
- 17-19 September 2016 "28th International Conference of the Spanish Society for Medieval English Language and Literature" (SELIM28) .
Modern langauge: Language 1, II: English (Degree in Foreign Languages, 1st year students; together with Mª Flor Pérez Paz and Raquel P. Romasanta)
Modern language: Language 1, IV: English (Degree in Foreign Languages, 1st year students; together with Dr. Martín Urdiales Shaw)
English for specific purposes - Tourism (Degree in Foreign Languages, 4th year students; together with Keith Payne)
Modern language: Language 2, IV: English (Degree in Translation and Interpretation, 2nd year students)
Morphosyntax of the first foreign language: English (Degree in Foreign Languages, 2nd year students; together with Dr. Elena Seoane).